Tuesday, February 14, 2012

{Not So} Explosive Brownies

One of my personal goals for the new year has been to make more foods from scratch.  I used to cook all the time and lately we have been relying more and more on packaged foods.  Preservatives... Yuck.

So in keeping with that goal I made brownies Saturday night.

They were awesome.  Totally delish.  Even my non chocolate eating husband loved them!

{Princess B loved them too- she just wasn't so crazy about the high chair! I had to take a pic of that chocolate covered face before I finished setting her free!}

I used the Brownie recipe off the Toll House Baking Cocoa container with some adjustments because I was not really prepared for brownies.


Here is what I used:

1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar (unpacked)
3/4 cup oil (softened butter would be ideal, but I was out of butter)
2 Tbsp water
2 large eggs
2 tsp Amaretto ( I used Disaronno- If you want to be really un-explosive you could follow the recipe and use vanilla extract)
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup Toll House Baking Cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray your favorite Pyrex bakeware (or whatever pan you wish.  Pyrex explodes quite well though) with cooking spray.

Combine sugar, oil (or butter) and water in large bowl.  Add eggs and Amaretto.  Stir until well mixed.

Combine remaining dry ingredients in separate bowl.  Add into sugar mixture and stir until well mixed (about 50 strokes).

Bake 18-25 minutes.

Now...here is the important part:  Leave the Pyrex with the brownies on the stove over night.  You can go ahead and cover them with aluminum foil or plastic wrap for freshness.  In the morning, have your husband cook you breakfast.  When he puts the sausage in the pan be sure he turns on the wrong burner...on high...and doesn't realize it for a good 5-10 minutes.  Step back and KABOOM!  You will have glass everywhere and flaming brownies on the stove.

Note the sarcasm in that last paragraph.  Please do not try to blow up your glass bakeware.  Its highly dangerous and very messy.

Thank God hubby had turned to open the refrigerator.  Thank God we also gorged ourselves on brownies the night before so not too many were on fire.  I didn't know brownies could burn like that!!

I now have a very clean kitchen.  We had to dismantle the stove to get to all the glass and molten brownie. I also discovered my home made dishwasher soap is excellent job cleaning the inside of my stove.  And everyone in my family is okay.  At the end of the day, that is the most important thing.

But I sure wish I had a brownie.  Or two...


No comments: